Saturday, May 12, 2018

Sometimes the experts are a little wrong

At a seed swap about seven years ago, I picked up a packet of seeds marked "larkspur."  I had no idea what they were but no one else was picking them up so I thought I would give them a home. 

Without doing any research, I started them indoors in pots, transplanted them outdoors in April and experienced lovely bright blue blooms on tall stalks in early summer.  I was quite pleased with the result.

Then, of course, I did some research on my lovely early summer flowers and was shocked to discover I had done everything wrong.  Larkspurs must have chilling hours to germinate, don't like to be transplanted, must be thinned, possibly staked, and hate hot weather conditions.

My larkspurs have made liars of all the experts.  They have reseeded in my gardens with abandon, in every shade of blue, pink, and white.  I give them no special attention whatsoever, never thin them or stake them, and they start blooming in April and continue to bloom through May (which can be pretty hot in central Alabama).

Not only are do they put on a stunning show in the garden but they cut well for bouquets (though I usually just enjoy them through my windows), and retain their color when pressed and dried.  The only downside to these fabulous plants is that when they are young they are quite toxic so I have to make sure the tortoise doesn't graze on them.

I'm glad that this time I didn't research before planting because sometimes the experts are wrong.



No comments:

Post a Comment