Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Shhhh . . . the babies are eating

This is butterfly season in my backyard.  Because I have masses of purple passion flower vine in my garden, it is filled with gulf fritillary butterflies.  Every afternoon they float about the last of summer blooms and lay hundreds of eggs. 

Its a good thing that I have masses of passion flower vine because those ravenous baby caterpillars are devouring them.  This is all just fine with me because they are doing a fabulous job of pruning the vines for me.  If I am very quiet, I can literally hear them chomping away.

I've seen a few of the pupa hiding under the vines but since they look exactly like a dead passion flower leaf, they are difficult to spot.  I know they are there, however, because I keep seeing more butterflies. 

Native plants support native wildlife.
 






No comments:

Post a Comment