Monday, April 18, 2016

Best in my show

The Best in Show award for Springtime Trees in my Alabama Backyard goes to Magnolia Ashii!

This native tree begins to bloom just as the fringe tree leafs out.  In my opinion, God saved the best for last. 

This native magnolia does everything bigger and better than any other tree in the Alabama woods.  Its leaves grow to an impressive 30 inches in length and its white blooms are the size of your average dinner plate.  If that isn't impressive enough, the fragrance from just a few blooms perfumes half my garden. 

Growing an ash magnolia can be challenging.  It grows without any effort as long as it is planted precisely; this tree requires well-drained, but moist and slightly acidic soil.  It wants some protection from the brutal Alabama summer sunshine but doesn't want to live in deep shade.  Because it is primarily an understory tree, it may grow in some unusual shapes but does not want to be pruned. 

There is just nothing like it.  I'm thankful that I have just the right spot for this tree in my own backyard.





No comments:

Post a Comment