Thursday, March 24, 2016

My orchid bloomed!

All of my adult life, I have attempted to grow orchids.  I've received them as gifts, gotten babies from other gardeners, and even purchased two of them at a yard sale.  The story has all been the same; they finished blooming (if they were blooming when I got them), looked puny for several months and died.

When I became a Master Gardener, I developed friendships with several expert orchid fanciers.  After listening carefully to their advice, I decided it was time to try again.  Right now, I own three orchids:  a night-blooming cereus, a small orchid of unknown parentage that I received as a cutting from a Master Gardener friend, and a phalaenopsis that my husband bravely gifted me for my birthday last year.

Orchids need highly aerated medium in a container that breaths well, bright (but not sunny) light,  humidity, lots of fertilizer and consistent watering.  I have been diligently neglecting my orchids, desperately trying to give them everything they need without killing them with too much attention.

About eight weeks ago, I noticed a bud stalk beginning to grow in the phalaenopsis.  The process was very slow but I ended up with two surviving buds.  Yesterday, the flowers bloomed!  

I am SO proud of myself.  Please don't remind me that just like germination, the gardener has nothing to do with blooming flowers.  Today, I just want to be proud of my hard work and determination.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to nurture one my son and daughter-in-law gave me. I'm holding my breath. It hasn't send up a shoot with another bloom yet but it's still alive.

    ReplyDelete