Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Precious memories


Grandmother Etta's 80th birthday with her daughters.
My husband's grandmother loved day lilies long before there were a million varieties and groups dedicated to breeding them.  She had thousands of day lilies creating a colorful border almost completely around her property.  She had figured out that they would cross pollinate and delighted in the variations that developed in her backyard.  Every once in a while there would be a new variety at the garden center which she would proudly add to her collection.  Her favorites were the orange ones with triple blooms and a burgundy/yellow variety because she was an FSU alumnus.

When the time came for us to move from Tallahassee to Alabama, Grandmother wanted me to bring a reminder of her gardens to my new home.  We dug up dozens of day lilies in the early spring, not knowing what varieties I would get.

My day lily garden is more than 20 years old.  I know there are many more colorful varieties available than the ones I have, but each morning,  as I eagerly look for new day lily blooms,  my day lilies inspire precious memories of one of the best gardeners I've ever known and one of the dearest friends I've ever loved. 






No comments:

Post a Comment