Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Polar plunge

Not to be mistaken for a "polar vortex" which includes snow and ice, tonight's weather event is a "polar plunge."  The north winds are howling at 20+ mph and we can watch the mercury dropping in the thermometer.   The forecast low in my backyard is supposed to be about 10 degrees.  We aren't supposed to warm above freezing for two days.

While not as severe as last year's polar vortex, my cold frame and garage won't keep my plants warm enough to survive this bitter cold.  After coming home from school this afternoon, I bundled up and headed out.  The cold frame containers are all on my kitchen table and the large containers in the garage are wrapped in bedspreads and table clothes.  The hoses are drained and the outside faucets are dripping.  We are ready!

I'm just a little confused about this whole global warming thing.


1 comment:

  1. I totally here you. 10 degrees tonight and 16 tomorrow. Spent all afternoon giving the animals extra shelter and hauling in wood. Guessing tonight the remaining plants on the TG will bite the dust. No way to move it in ...so sad. Guess Jan. 9 isn't too bad for growing cilantro, lettuce, spinach, water cress, parsley, dill, and swiss chard. By next I'll have my pop up green house to meet old man winter! LOL! One step at a time.

    ReplyDelete