Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My real Easter lilies

The lovely lilies we associate with Easter are Asian lilies that are forced to bloom in the spring in carefully controlled greenhouses.  Although there is absolutely nothing wrong with that practice or those lilies, I've discovered that in Alabama we have native Easter lilies.

The atamasco lily is native to a few southeastern states.   The first ones I ever saw grow in masses on a creek bank in Shelby county.   They bloom alongside red buckeye and blue wild hyacinth in the most amazing natural garden I have ever seen.   I wish I had photos that do it justice.

I rescued one lily bulb that was growing in the dead center of our horse trail--it would have died from being trampled--and planted it in my own woodland garden.  Although atamasco lilies prefer damp, acidic soil, my little bulb has been gently multiplying in my dry woodland setting.   They seem extremely hardy. 

Each spring, I eagerly watch for the leaves to sprout, buds to form, and the gorgeous, three inch, white blooms that tell me Easter is near.   This year, they began to open on Easter Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment