Saturday, September 14, 2013

Sometimes it rains and sometimes it doesn't

It hasn't rained on my gardens in 12 days.  In the grand scheme of things, this isn't a big deal.  We've had plenty of rain this summer so the soil is generally moist.   However, my annuals are very unhappy right now.  The very fact that we have had a wet summer is the reason they look so miserable.   Because they have been watered by the abundant rain on an almost daily basis this summer, they have never had to send their roots deep into the soil to hunt for water.  Now, at the end of the season when they should have had a deep, broad network of roots to find moisture and nutrients, they are unable to cope with the adverse conditions they are confronting.

Gardening teaches me wonderful lessons on life.  Watching my annuals struggle to survive with just a little less water reminds me that life's little disappointments are good training for me.  If I never learn to handle the small problems of life, I will never develop the necessary skills to survive when the serious issues arise.

God gives us many tools and opportunities to prepare for adversity.  We have access to the Bible and church families to help us grow and mature, but if during the "good times" of life, we do not read the Bible or develop strong connections with our church, we will not have the resources we need to manage during the "tough times" that inevitably come.

We never know what will happen in the future.  Sometimes it rains, and sometimes it doesn't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment