Sunday, July 14, 2013

Ferns on Friday

On Friday, I was privileged to attend a presentation on Shelby County (Alabama) ferns by Sarah Johnston from the Birmingham Fern Society.   Much to my amazement I learned that we have 31 officially documented fern species just in our county and there are probably more that haven't been officially counted yet.   I also learned that ferns have an entirely different vocabulary from other plants.  For instance, ferns don't have a stem, they have a "stipe,"  they don't have leaves, they have "pinna." 

I love growing ferns in my garden.  After attending this presentation I went out to count my fern species.  I have 18 different varieties, 9 of which are natives, and a few that I don't really even know what they are (I learned from Ms. Johnston that it is sometimes difficult even for experts to identify a specific fern).

Here are a few photos of my ferns.  Apologies to the experts (and my ferns) if I have mis-identified them.


Resurrection fern--native
Bracken fern--native

Japanese painted fern
Christmas fern--native
Southern lady fern--native

Sensitive fern--native
Southern maidenhair--native





No comments:

Post a Comment